Your City HallCouncilDepartmentsOn-line ServicesBylaw EnforcementCustomer Service FeedbackEmployment Emergencies
May 13, 2017
Peachland Residents Can Access Free Water from West Kelowna Bulk Water Station
Free water is now available until further notice to Peachland residents at the City of West Kelowna’s bulk water station at Shannon Lake and Asquith Roads. West Kelowna Council directed staff to refit the station to allow access to free water given current Water Quality Advisories affecting the Pritchard, Sunnyside and West Kelowna Systems in the City of West Kelowna and the Tsinstikeptum 9 System in Westbank First Nation. This service has now been extended to Peachland residents, currently under a Boil Water Advisory. The station provides water treated via the state of the art Powers Creek Treatment Plant, which uses methods including filtration, UV radiation and chlorination.
Water systems in the area have been experiencing above normal turbidity, due to rapid seasonal runoff over the past week.
Water can be accessed at a tap located on the Asquith Road side of the station. Users need to bring their own containers, and hoses if needed, and ensure they are clean and suitable for potable water. The free access is granted for the duration of the current water quality advisories.
The bulk water station opened in May 2013 and was built as means of providing contractors an alternative to using fire hydrants. Residents without access to a municipal water system were also able to sign up for a fee. However, when water quality advisories are in effect, Council directs staff to enable free access to the clean, potable bulk water at the station.
Media Contacts: Kirsten Jones, Communications Supervisor City of West Kelowna 778-797-2253
June 21, 2017
- The District of Peachland continues to share a forestry crew with West Kelowna. This crew is adding sandbag armoring in vulnerable areas of the shoreline.
- District crews continue to monitor and maintain all shoreline protective measures.
- The Ministry of Transportation has informed the District of Peachland that it will be doing some armoring work on the shoreline in front of the T-Boat Launch Parking Lot. It is unclear when this will occur, but likely today or tonight.
- Road closures include Beach Avenue from 13th Street to Todd Road as well as a pipe crossing along Lake Avenue which does not allow for through traffic.
- The large volume pump at 13th Street/Lake Avenue has stopped working. District crews have replaced it with the pump from 3rd Street/Beach Avenue temporarily as localized road flooding was occurring when the pump was down. District crews will work to get the pumps up and running today. The catch basins that were being pumped using the pump on 3rd Street/Beach Avenue have not surcharged and will be manually pumped as required.
- The Boil Water Notice remains in effect.
Park and Beach Closures
- 8th Street Boat Launch closed
- All docks remain closed with the exception of Swim Bay
- Sections of Centennial Way
- T-Boat Launch (Hwy 97/Princeton Ave)