A Building Permit is required if you:
- Construct a new home.
- Construct a new accessory building or accessory structure greater than 108 sq. ft.
- Repair, renovate or add to an existing building.
- Remove, relocate, alter or construct interior walls.
- Complete a previously unfinished area in an existing building (basement development, carport, etc.).
- Construct, cover or enclose a porch or sundeck.
- Construct a swimming pool or any structure for a hot tub.
- Demolish, relocate or move a building.
- Place mobile/manufactured homes on a private lot or in a Mobile Home Park.
- Construct chimneys or install wood or pellet stove appliances.
- Construct retaining walls over 5 ft in height. (a design by a P. Eng. Is also required)
- Painting, roofing repairs and re-roofing (nothing structural).
- Exterior finish repair or replacement.
- Landscaping, sidewalks, fences.
- Garden shed less than 108 sq. ft.
- Temporary construction trailer for a project for which a building permit has been issued
- No excavation, erection, enlargement, alteration, repair, removal or demolition of any building or structure, or part thereof, shall be commenced or undertaken without a permit being first obtained.
WHAT DO I NEED TO KNOW PRIOR TO PLANNING MY PROJECT?
- ZONING - Check with Planning & Development Services to ensure the zoning allows the intended residential use.
- RESTRICTIONS - Check with Planning & Development Services for the required setbacks, maximum height of building, and site coverage.
- SERVICES - Check with Planning and Development Services for location of water, sanitary sewer and storm sewer.
- LAND TITLE - Check with Planning & Development Services for any covenant, easement, right-of way, etc. registered on the land title.
- SEPTIC SEWAGE DISPOSAL SYSTEM and POTABLE WATER SOURCE - Check with Interior Health if no municipal water and/or sanitary sewer is available to your property.
WHAT DO I NEED TO OBTAIN A BUILDING PERMIT?
- TITLE SEARCH - If this is the first building going on the property.
- SEPTIC APPROVAL - If City sewer connections are not available.
- LEGAL DESCRIPTION - Provide legal description and/or civic address.
- TRUSS DETAILS - Provide 2 sets of engineered truss layouts including engineered details (if applicable) from the company supplying the trusses.
- HOME PROTECTION ACT REQUIREMENTS – If you are the builder, you need to submit the registration form for verification of Residential Builder Licence and proof of Home Warranty insurance at application stage. If you are the owner builder, you need to submit the declaration and disclosure notice form at application stage.
- SITE PLANS - provide 2 sets of site plans scaled 1:100 or 1:250 metric;
1/8"=1'-00" or 1/16"=1'-00" imperial indicating the following information:
- Lot shape and size with setbacks of the building to the property line.
- Any easements, right-of-ways
- Show decks, projections, cantilevers
- Driveway location, existing and/or proposed
- Septic system, well location (if applicable)
Provide 2 sets of complete drawings in metric or imperial which indicate the following information:
- Foundation and Floor Plans
- Typical Cross sections and
- Construction Details
(Additional information may be requested during the building permit process.)
CAN I CREATE MY OWN HOUSE DRAWINGS?
There are no restrictions on who can create working drawings*. However, hiring a professional house designer or Architect can ensure that the information is complete and allows for a quicker processing time. See attached sample layout for an example of the minimum standards and information required to make a building permit application.
*(An Architect is required when the footprint area exceeds 600 sq m, when a building is more than 3 storeys in height and when the building is intended for an assembly use.
HOW MUCH DO I PAY FOR A BUILDING PERMIT?
Building Permit fees are based on the estimate cost of construction including material and labour at market value. In addition to building permit fee, access permit fee of $30 may be applicable.
- Value Permit Fee - $12.00 per $1000.00
- Examples: Average sundeck $2,000 $24.00*
- Average double garage $8,700 = $104.40
- Smaller house $100,000 = $1200.00
- Larger house $200,000 = $2400.00
*However, minimum fee is $100.00.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO OBTAIN PERMITS?
Processing time depends on the type and complexity of the project. For smaller projects, the process will usually take 7 working days. Generally, the more complete the submission, the quicker the processing time.
To avoid delays always submit a complete application.