Print the page Print This Page 
Return to Peachland Home Page

Animal control


Here is an excellent Bear Awareness website.Who do I call to report a problem bear?
    Public Information: 1 (877) 356-2039
    Emergency Reporting Centre: 1 (877) 952-7277
    Conservation Officer Service: (877) 952-7277


Call the Public Works Office at 250-767-2108 and be prepared to answer the following questions:
    What colour are the cows? Black? Black/White, Brown/White, White?
    What colour are the tags? Orange? Yellow? White? Blue?
    Are there several cows with different colour tags?
    Where are the cows?
    How many cows are there?
    Do you see a brand? Do all the cows have the same brand?
    What does the brand look like?
    Can you take a picture of the brand? cow? tag?
Cows showing up in the upper areas of Peachland come from Garnet Valley in Summerland, also from ranges west of Garnet valley (Dark Lake, Eneas Lake), ranges from Headwaters (high above Peachland), and as far away as Hedley and Keremeos!!

Cows walk through gates left open, or fences that are down, and in the fall make their way down to "warmer" grazing. The cowboys might have to drive 2hrs or more to come and do a round-up so having some good descriptions makes a huge difference in making the call to the right person. There are at least 6 to 8 different names to call so descriptions and pictures makes the job of round-up go a lot faster.


Dead Deer on Highway 97 Road shoulder are the responsibility of Highways maintenance to pickup. Call Argo Road Maintenance at 250.493.6969 with the location of the dead animal.

Dead Deer on Peachland road shoulders will be picked up by the District Crew. Call the Public Works office at 250.767.2108 with the location of the dead animal.

After hours, evenings and weekends the crew will not be called out to pickup a dead animal. Please report the location to the public works office at 250.767.2108 or to the after-hours phone 250-868-1621. The crew will pickup the dead animal the next working day.

Please note, the District crew will not pickup injured animals, nor will they kill injured animals. As sad and difficult as it may seem, the injured animal must survive to live another day, or die of its injuries and then will be picked up. From January to March 2009 the crew picked up 50 dead deer within the boundaries of Peachland. It is not an unusual occurance.


How do I report a problem dog in my neighborhood?

    Call the Regional District Dog Control at 250.469.6284 7 days a week.
    or check out the information on the Regional District website.
How do I acquire a dog license ?
    Come to the Municipal Office at 5806 Beach Avenue and fill out the Dog Licensing Registration Form. If your dog has been spayed or neutered bring proof.
The fee schedule is:
  • male or female $60;
  • seeing eye and hearing aid guide dog N/C;
  • neutered male or spayed female $20;
  • lost tag replacement fee $1;
  • late penalty after Feb. 28/29 $20;
  • after July 31 for new resident or new dog 1/2 price.
Where can I obtain a copy of the Regional District Dog Control Bylaw 366?
    The Municipal Office has copies of this Bylaw available free of charge. This Bylaw explains all aspects of dog ownership.
Are dogs allowed on the beach?
    Dogs are only allowed at 'Doggy Beach' which is located at the boat launch at the bottom of Princeton Avenue or at Doggy Beach between the 6th Street boat dock across from the 50+ center and up to the next wharf at Strachans corner. You may walk your dog along Beach Avenue. Don't forget your pooper scooper!
Return to top
Copyright © District of Peachland
All Rights Reserved | Site by Trinex Internet Solutions