Council Highlights - May 9, 2023
Development Approval Process Review
Council gave first and second reading to Zoning Bylaw No. 2400 and directed staff to schedule a public hearing to receive community input on the proposed changes to the bylaw. New changes were introduced since the process began, prompting Council to rescind its first readings from earlier this year. The work to update the Zoning Bylaw is to improve clarity and consistency, reduce commonly requested variances, and streamline the approvals processes. Proposed additions have also been made to the Zoning Bylaw to incorporate FireSmart principles under landscaping regulations for development.
Financial Plan and Tax Rates Bylaws
Council adopted its 2023 Financial Plan and 2023 Tax Rates bylaws. The 2023 budget includes a tax increase of 5.12%. Some of the major General Fund capital projects identified in the 2023 Financial Plan include:
- $415,000 for a plow truck, sander attachment and snowmobile
- $150,000 for Fire Hall replacement pre-construction drawings.
- $550,000 for the Districtís Road Remediation program
- $300,000 for SCBA replacement for the Fire Department
- $920,000 for acquisition of property for the new Protective Services Building
- $249,300 for dock repairs and replacements, HVAC unit for the Community Centre and a portable stage for community events.
Major Water Fund capital projects for 2023 include:
- $2,500,000 for residuals treatment upgrade for the Water Treatment Plant
- $400,000 for water meter replacements
- $299,000 for a water supply analysis and upgrades
Council also accepted the audited financial statements for 2022 at the meeting.
Fire Department Donation
Council approved an anonymous donation of $10,000 to the Peachland Fire Department, which will use generous donation to purchase training equipment. District of Peachland policy requires Council to approve any donation over $5,000.
Field of Dreams Grant
Council was advised that the District was awarded a grant of $37,985 from the Blue Jays Foundation through its Field of Dreams grant program. The money will help restore Turner Park to its former glory as part of Phase I improvements this year.
More Recycling Pop Ups in Peachland
Mayor Van Minsel advised that the Regional District of Central Okanagan will offer additional Recycling Depot Pop Ups for Peachland. Pop ups will operate at the Peachland Community Centre from 10 am to 2 pm on Saturday, June 17, July 29 and September 16.
Next Council Meeting
Peachland Councilís Committee of the Whole will meet Tuesday, May 16, 2023 beginning at 9:00 am. A regular Council meeting is scheduled for May 23 beginning at 6 pm. Keep informed; subscribe to get news and event information emailed directly to you at www.peachland.ca/newsletter