Your City HallDepartmentsOnline ServicesCouncilBylaw EnforcementCustomer Service FeedbackEmployment Emergencies
When Do I Need a Building Permit?
WHEN DO YOU REQUIRE A BUILDING PERMIT?A Building Permit is required if you:
- Construct a new home.
- Construct a new accessory building or accessory structure greater than 108 sq. ft.
- Create a secondary or garden suite.
- Repair, renovate or add to an existing building.
- Remove, relocate, alter or construct interior walls.
- Complete a previously unfinished area in an existing building (basement development, carport, etc.).
- Construct, cover or enclose a porch or sundeck.
- Construct a swimming pool or any structure for a hot tub.
- Demolish, relocate or move a building.
- Place mobile/manufactured homes on a private lot or in a Mobile Home Park.
- Construct chimneys or install wood or pellet stove appliances.
- Construct retaining walls over 1.22m (4.0 ft) in height. (a design by a P. Eng. Is also required)
- Painting, roofing repairs and re-roofing (nothing structural).
- Exterior finish repair or replacement.
- Landscaping, sidewalks, fences.
- Garden shed less than 108 sq. ft.
- Temporary construction trailer for a project for which a building permit has been issued.
- No excavation, erection, enlargement, alteration, repair, removal or demolition of any building or structure, or part thereof, shall be commenced or undertaken without a permit being first obtained.