Your City HallCouncilDepartmentsOnline ServicesBylaw EnforcementCustomer Service FeedbackEmployment Emergencies
What Do I Need To Get A Building Permit?
WHAT DO I NEED TO OBTAIN A BUILDING PERMIT?
- TITLE SEARCH - If this is the first building going on the property.
- SEPTIC APPROVAL - If City sewer connections are not available.
- LEGAL DESCRIPTION - Provide legal description and/or civic address.
- TRUSS DETAILS - Provide 2 sets of engineered truss layouts including engineered details (if applicable) from the company supplying the trusses.
- HOME PROTECTION ACT REQUIREMENTS – If you are the builder, you need to submit the registration form for verification of Residential Builder Licence and proof of Home Warranty insurance at application stage. If you are the owner builder, you need to submit the declaration and disclosure notice form at application stage.
- SITE PLANS - provide 2 sets of site plans scaled 1:100 or 1:250 metric; 1/8"=1'-00" or 1/16"=1'-00" imperial indicating the following information:
- Lot shape and size with setbacks of the building to the property line.
- Any easements, right-of-ways
- Show decks, projections, cantilevers
- Driveway location, existing and/or proposed
- Septic system, well location (if applicable)
DRAWINGSProvide 2 sets of complete drawings in metric or imperial which indicate the following information:
- Foundation and Floor Plans
- Typical Cross sections and
- Construction Details
CAN I CREATE MY OWN HOUSE DRAWINGS?
There are no restrictions on who can create working drawings*. However, hiring a professional house designer or Architect can ensure that the information is complete and allows for a quicker processing time. See attached sample layout for an example of the minimum standards and information required to make a building permit application.
*(An Architect is required when the footprint area exceeds 600 sq m, when a building is more than 3 storeys in height and when the building is intended for an assembly use.