Frequently Asked Questions

Below are some common questions we get asked in the Planning Department, organized by category. If you don't see your question, send an email to and someone will be happy to respond.

General Inquiries

1. I don't know where to begin. Who do I contact?
First, read through the FAQ's below. It may be quicker than trying to contact staff directly at this initial stage of inquiry. If your question remains unanswered, use the summaries below to help determine what department to contact.

In general:

  • the Planning Department provides community land use advice and processes land use applications such as variances, development permits, rezoning and subdivisions, and also administers the District's licensing/permitting programs (sidewalk patios, outdoor vending, secondary suites, signs). Email

  • the Building Department deals with the construction of buildings and structures and enforces the standards of the BC Building Code and other provincial regulations. Building officials regulate and inspect new construction, renovations, alterations, additions, and changes of occupancy of existing buildings. This department processes building applications and carries out inspections on construction projects. Refer to the Building section of our website for Frequently Asked Questions or Email

  • the Bylaw Department enforces bylaw infractions and processes business licences and tree cutting inquiries. Email

  • the Public Works Department oversees the District's infrastructure, processes and issues permits for water/sewer, driveways, road use, and blasting. The Public Works department is who you contact if you have issues with roads, solid waste, water, and street lights, or if you have questions about the parks and cemetery. Email
2. What is going on in the community?
  • Development application information is available on the Development Permit layer of the GIS.
  • Public Hearing information can be found on our website here, or on the public notice boards outside of Municipal Hall and the Community Centre. You can also sign up to the Municipal e-newsletter to get information on upcoming Public Hearings and other municipal news emailed directly to your inbox.

3. Do I need an appointment to speak to a Planner/Building Official?
Appointments are STRONGLY ENCOURAGED. If you drop by Municipal Hall, you may not get to speak to anyone. Contact information can be found here.

Short Term Rental in Peachland

1. Does Peachland allow short term rental?
Yes- with conditions. Rules for short term rental (i.e. Air BnB, VRBO, etc.) fall under the Bed and Breakfast section of the Zoning Bylaw (section 5.36). More information can also be found here. If you have specific questions that you can't find answers for from our website, please email the Planning Department.

2. Can I rent out my house as a short term rental?
No. Currently whole home rentals are not permitted in Peachland. To do any short term rental in Peachland, the home must be your principal residence, and the rental must be a room(s) in your home or attached in a registered secondary suite. Garden suites (carriage homes, laneway homes, etc.) are NOT permitted to be used as a short term rental, but can be used for long term rental.

3. Do I need a business licence to do short term rental?
Yes. If you are renting out a room(s) in your home, or your registered secondary suite, you need a business licence. Learn more about getting a business licence here.

Secondary Suites in Peachland

1. Can I have a secondary suite?
Secondary suites are permitted in most residential Zones in Peachland, so likely you are. Check the Secondary Suite section of the Zoning Bylaw (section 5.43). More information can also be found here. If you have specific questions that the website does not address, email the Planning Department.

2. What is the difference between a Garden suite and a Secondary suite?
A Garden suite is a second dwelling contained within an accessory building on a property, while a Secondary suite is a separate dwelling within a primary dwelling. Garden suites (carriage homes, laneway homes, etc.) are not permitted as readily as secondary suites in Peachland, mainly because of the sewer requirement. Read section 5.39 of the Zoning Bylaw for more on regulations of Garden suites.

3. Do I need to register my suite?
Yes. All suites must be registered and have a Suite Licence. Please contact the Planning Department for further information.

4. I recently bought a property with a suite. How do I know if my suite is registered?
One way is to check the GIS. If the address has a '2' in front of it, it is likely registered with the District. The best way to find out is to contact the Planning Department and someone will let you know.

Tree Removal

1. I want to cut a tree. Do I need a permit?
Yes. Peachland adopted a new Tree Protection Bylaw in January 2024 that looks at incorporating FireSmart principals and preservation of the community's overall tree canopy. People that want to, or need to, remove trees from their properties will have to fill out an application form and be issued a Tree Cutting Permit. Dead and hazard trees will be permitted to come down, but a permit is still required. Other trees may require an assessment before being permitted to be cut. Trees are important for habitat but also, as the area sees more development, they help with summer cooling, and they play a key role in bank stability which is important in a hillside community like Peachland.

2. Is there a fee for a tree cutting permit?
Yes. A fee of $50 is required upon issuance of a tree cutting permit. If you get a FireSmart Assessment done on your property, you may be exempt from the fee if a Local FireSmart Representative recommends the tree be removed. Contact FireSmart at to inquire about getting an assessment done for your property.

General Land Use Inquiries

1. Can I have chickens on my property?
Chickens are permitted on lots greater than 0.4 hectares (1 acre). Learn about the Keeping of Animals in section 5.41 of the Zoning Bylaw. This section speaks to other kinds of animals that are permitted on residential lots as well.

2. Can I build a fence around my property?
Yes. A permit is not necessary, but you must comply with the Fencing section (5.15) of the Zoning Bylaw. You may want to hire a land survey company to determine where your property lines are, if you intend to put your fence on your property line.

3. How Do I find my Property lines/corners?
If you need to know exactly, a land surveyor company should be hired to come to your property and identify this information for you. If you just want to know generally, you can search your property at the corners to see if the markers are still there, or you can use the GIS to give you a rough idea of where your property lines/corners may be. Remember, the GIS is NOT an exact tool, so don't rely on it if you need exact measurements.

4. Can I put a shipping container on my property?
Shipping containers (sea-can, c-can) have lots of conditions for whether they can be on a property. There are general conditions, and conditions if it is for temporary or permanent use. Identify what your use of the container is for, and then check section 5.28 of the Zoning Bylaw for Shipping Containers.

5. Can I have a buoy?
If you own a property right on the lake you may be allowed to have one buoy. This is called an upland property. If there is a road separating the property from the lake, or the property doesn't abut the lake, the property is not permitted to have a buoy. Inquires for buoys and docks are handled by the Planning Department.

Property Information

1. Where do I find information on a property?
The Peachland GIS has an abundance of information about properties in the District. When you select a property you will have access to zoning, legal address, PID, development permit areas, assessment information, lot size, official community plan designation, waste collection day, sewer, water and fire service area information, and so much more. The GIS also allows you to view aerial imagery, measure distances, and select layers that show things like sewer and water lines, property zones, topography, and contours.

2. I know my Zone, but what can I do on my property?
The zones and what is permitted can be found in the Zoning Bylaw, or on the website, here. When reading the Zoning Bylaw, be sure to refer to the DEFINITIONS at the beginning of the bylaw, as they define key words that will help you understand the bylaw better.

3. What is a Development Permit Area?
A development permit area is a designation over the land to acknowledge that there is some special feature or characteristic of the lands that requires additional attention during development. DPAs fall into three categories: Environmentally sensitive (aquatic & terrestrial), Natural Hazard (hillside & wildfire), and Form and Character (intensive & comprehensive residential). You can read more about development permit areas in Part 6 of the Official Community Plan.

4. Is my property in a Development Permit Area?
Check your property on the GIS. If it is, your project may require a development permit. Follow up with the Planning Department before proceeding with your project.

Go Back