March 13, 2020 - COVID-19
Please be advised, on all matters concerning public health, the District of Peachland is guided by expertise and direction given by local, provincial and federal health authorities.
March 13, 2020
Yesterday, March 12th, the BC Provincial Health Officer and Health Minister made a number of announcements aimed at further reducing the spread of the virus: recommendation against all non-essential travel outside of Canada and the cancellation of any gatherings of more than 250 people.
We know that this affects our residents as well as our businesses. Currently the risk rating in Canada is low. As such, we are continuing municipal operations but are implementing the following precautions:
- Promoting handwashing/sanitation
- Increasing sanitation of hard surfaces
- Encouraging residents and visitors to make enquiries over the phone or email rather than coming in person
- Cancellation of unnecessary meetings
- Advising recreation program participants to clean surfaces/equipment prior to and after use
- Offering pro-rated refunds for recreation programs without a doctors note
- Offering full refunds for rental and event cancellations
We are reviewing all public events on a case by case basis and using the recommendations set forth by the Government of Canada to guide our decision-making. We hope that with your efforts, future events like the Civic Awards can go on.
As an important first step, residents should observe the same precautions used when avoiding contact with regular cold or flu viruses. This includes:
- Washing hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds
- Avoid touching eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- Cover mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze or use the inside of your elbow
- Stay home if you are sick
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces daily
The District will continue to closely monitor the situation. Should the direction of our provincial health authorities change, we will be ready; should they not change, we will adjust our planning accordingly.
Anyone who suspects they may have symptoms of COVID-19 should immediately call 8-1-1 for an assessment. The Public Health Agency of Canada has created a toll-free phone number (1-833-784-4397) to answer questions from Canadians about COVID-19.
Here are some quick links to information on COVID-19
For more detailed information and updates, please visit the following websites:
New information will be provided as it is available.