Your City HallDepartmentsCouncilOnline ServicesBylaw EnforcementCustomer Service FeedbackEmployment Emergencies
- Cash, Cheque, Debit Card
- Post dated Cheque
- PC Banking
- Pre-Authorized Payment Plan Application Form
- BC Assessment Change of Address Form
UNDERSTANDING YOUR ASSESSMENT AND TAXES
If you have questions on how your property assessment may have affected the amount of property taxes payable, The BC Assessment Authority provides a variety of communication resources for your reference. You can view these by visiting their website at BC Assessment Authority or by clicking on any of the links below. You can also contact the BC Assessment Authority by phoning toll free at 1-866-825-8322.
BC Assessment Webpages (info graphics included):
BC Assessment Videos:
NORTHERN AND RURAL HOME OWNER BENEFIT
The Northern & Rural Home Owner Grant is the longstanding Home Owner Grant combined with the new Northern and Rural Area Home Owner Benefit. To be eligible for the benefit, you must meet the requirements for the basic and/or additional grant, and your home must be located in British Columbia, but outside the Capital Regional District (CRD), Greater Vancouver Regional District (GVRD) and Fraser Valley Regional District (FVRD).Basic GrantTo qualify for the Basic Grant you must:
Additional grantTo be eligible for the additional grant, you must meet the criteria for the basic grant, plus one of the following:
- be the owner (or a spouse/relative of the deceased owner) of the property
- be a permanent resident of British Columbia
- occupy the building on the tax notice as your principal residence
- have not applied for or received a home owner grant on any other property in the Province during the calendar year; and no other person can have received a home owner grant on the property for the calendar year.
- You are 65 or older. If your home is jointly owned, only one owner must be 65 to qualify. The qualifier’s birth date and signature must be included on the application.
- You receive a disability allowance under the Employment and Assistance for Persons with Disabilities Act. You must provide a Consent for Release of Information form, signed by you and your Ministry of Social Development representative, verifying you are receiving these benefits.
- You are permanently disabled or you have a disabled spouse or relative residing with you permanently. A signed medical certificate (FORM B) completed by your physician must be attached to the grant application, along with the photocopies of receipts supporting the costs incurred as identified in section B(i) and (ii) of the Form B. Note: Canada Pension Plan Disability Benefits do not qualify.
- You are a veteran or spouse of a veteran who served in World War I, World War II or the Korean War, receiving an allowance under the War Veterans Allowance Act (Canada) or the Civilian War –related Benefits Act (Canada). Veterans must attach a confirmation letter from Veterans Affairs Canada to the application. Surviving spouses of deceased veterans who received either allowance at the time of death also qualify.
- Home owners eligible for the basic grant must pay a minimum tax of $350. Home owners eligible for the additional grant must pay a minimum tax of $100.
- The Home Owner Grant must be claimed by the Tax Due Date to avoid penalty. To obtain the grant, you must apply at eTaxBC website or by calling 1-888-355-2700.