Property Taxes


  • 2018 Tax Sale Update
  • 2018 Tax Rates
  • 2018 Tax Notice insert
  • Methods of Payment


    The Northern & Rural Home Owner Grant is the longstanding Home Owner Grant combined with the new Northern and Rural Area Home Owner Benefit. To be eligible for the benefit, you must meet the requirements for the basic and/or additional grant, and your home must be located in British Columbia, but outside the Capital Regional District (CRD), Greater Vancouver Regional District (GVRD) and Fraser Valley Regional District (FVRD)

    Basic Grant
    To qualify for the Basic Grant you must:
    • be the owner (or a spouse/relative of the deceased owner) of the property
    • be a permanent resident of British Columbia
    • occupy the building on the tax notice as your principal residence
    • have not applied for or received a home owner grant on any other property in the Province during the calendar year; and no other person can have received a home owner grant on the property for the calendar year.

    Additional grant
    To be eligible for the additional grant, you must meet the criteria for the basic grant, plus one of the following:
    • You are 65 or older. If your home is jointly owned, only one owner must be 65 to qualify. The qualifier’s birth date and signature must be included on the application
    • You receive a disability allowance under the Employment and Assistance for Persons with Disabilities Act. You must provide a Consent for Release of Information form, signed by you and your Ministry of Social Development representative, verifying you are receiving these benefits.
    • You are permanently disabled or you have a disabled spouse or relative residing with you permanently. A signed medical certificate (FORM B) completed by your physician must be attached to the grant application, along with the photocopies of receipts supporting the costs incurred as identified in section B(i) and (ii) of the Form B. Note: Canada Pension Plan Disability Benefits do not qualify.
    • You are a veteran or spouse of a veteran who served in World War I, World War II or the Korean War, receiving an allowance under the War Veterans Allowance Act (Canada) or the Civilian War –related Benefits Act (Canada). Veterans must attach a confirmation letter from Veterans Affairs Canada to the application. Surviving spouses of deceased veterans who received either allowance at the time of death also qualify.
    • For 2013, the additional grant will be reduced by $5 for each $1,000 of assessed value over $1,295,000, and is eliminated on homes assessed at $1,504,000 or more.
    • If you meet the eligibility criteria for the additional grant and you meet the new low-income criteria, you may qualify even if your house is assessed above $1,295,000.
    • Home owners eligible for the basic grant must pay a minimum tax of $350. Home owners eligible for the additional grant must pay a minimum tax of $100.
    • The Home Owner Grant must be claimed by the Tax Due Date to avoid penalty. To obtain the grant, you must complete the application form on the bottom of the tax notice. Unclaimed grants constitute unpaid current taxes and are subject to penalties.

    The grant can be claimed without making a payment. If you qualify for the additional grant and wish to obtain it, you must tick the box that describes your qualification. If over 65, state your birth date.

    If your mortgage company or other agent pays your property taxes, it is still your responsibility to claim the Home Owner Grant by completing the grant application and delivering it to the District of Peachland office by the due date. Please contact the provincial Home Owner Grant Application administration for further details.